Monday 18 May 2009

Review at The MALC

This book review appears in The MALC newsletter (a martial arts group) and I have reprinted it here for your enjoyment. The author was a student of mine back in the day when I was still seriously involved in Kempo Ju-Jitsu


Book Review
Dead Men’s Dust by Matt Hilton
Purchased at 7-15 on the 13th of May at the book signing in Carlisle and finished later that evening! I read books at every opportunity and like most of us, I form opinions instantly ; it's good, it's bad, or I just could not be bothered to finish it. This time I knew the author, so I was duty bound to complete the book. In fact I have hit him on numerous occasions! That he tended to hit me back a lot harder and throw me around the room as a sort of extra for attempting to hit him is just one of those things I seem to remember at my Kempo Black Belt grading (note the spelling as it was Kempo Ju-Jitsu) he choked me out.That aside here is a new author with a hero for our time. Lone working, hard hitting Joe Hunter is Mat's creation and he is the sort of guy we all want on our side. Read the book and look at some of the action scenes. Joe is a man who knows about martial arts and it shows. Mat is a 4th Degree Kempo Ju-jitsu exponent. I would imagine that Mat spent time with his brothers, who incidentally are also a handful, going over the fight scenes to make them as adrenaline flowing as possible. Joe Hunter is a decent guy who accepts that the world is not to be seen through rose tinted lenses. Who hopes for the best and prepares for the worst. In fact there is much of Mat in the fictional Joe Hunter. Kind and modest but certainly not to be taken lightly.Read this when you want to be thrilled and look towards Joe Hunters next appointment with the dark side of life.
Mike Ilderton 14th MAY 2009
"When in doubt, choke them out" ~ Scott Marker

No comments: