Tuesday 28 July 2009

Thrillerfest 2009

I'm not long back from New York city where I attended this years Thrillerfest convention. Apart from a quick trip I made to NY last october where I barely got off a train had some lunch with my agent then got back on the train again, this was my first real visit to the BIG APPLE. The event was held in the Grand Hyatt, adjacent to central station on 42nd street, with the Chrysler building looming overhead and the Empire State only a couple blocks over. It was an amazing experience. The event itself was filled to capacity with world famous authors, inlcuding David Morrell, David Baldacci, Jeffrey Deaver and Lee Child amongst many many more.

My part at the convention was relegated to the Debut Authors breakfast where - alongside the other Class of 2009 members - i had to get up and give a minutes pitch to the gathered audience. It seemed to go OK, even if I was juddering like a real un with nerves.

The awards ceremony was held opposite the Hyatt at Cipriani, one of the most amazing venues I've ever had the pleasure of attending, and it felt like I was at the Oscars.

I'll remember the experience for the rest of my days. There's nothing like a first time, is there?

I must add a very big thank you to Maggie Griffin from partners and Crime bookshop in Greenwich, for the amazing hospitality and for taking out a full afternoon to show me, my wife and sister-in-law all the sites. Thanks Maggie.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had a great time, Matt. Bet the one minute pitch felt like an hour!

Author said...

I made the mistake of starting it with a joke about no-one understanding my accent which fell as flat as the proverbial lead balloon. But that was OK, I then made a joke about them not understanind what i just said and that and got a laugh. that got me over the nerves.

Another author approached me afterwards and said (jokingly) "Great speech, Matt. Didn't understand a fuckin' word, but it was great all the same!"
Made me feel a whole lot better.

Unknown said...

Reet gud, that lad.